Saturday, December 6, 2008

Serendipity

I received an email recently from Jane, another British School Mum who lives in Gurgaon. She decided that there was probably quite a large number of families who didn't know each other and that we should all meet up to say hi, swap phone numbers and pool information. She suggested meeting in a coffee shop in one of the malls. Great idea I thought, so I went along.

We'd set the meeting time as 11, so when I turned up at 10 past only Jane and one other lady had arrived. She was Indian, so her watch must have been fast. I got my mocha and sat down. We got to chatting about how a yahoo group would be a really useful way for us all to keep in touch. I told Jane I'd owned a 700 member quilting group for the past five years, so if she needed any help she could call me. Quilting, she says, I belong to a quilt group. I'll give your details to the group owner.

A little later, when our numbers had swelled to a dozen, Arup (the dad with the hand cancelling stamp advice), came over to chat. He wanted to know where I'd come from. I told him Surrey. He'd lived in Camberley so he wanted me to be more specific. I said Motspur Park. Because no one has ever heard of Motspur Park as it's really a very small place, I added it's between Wimbledon and Kingston. Jane turned to me and said, My grandparents had a house in Motspur Park. I was obviously supposed to meet this lady!

No comments: