Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Planning ahead

Christmas is coming, you'd think it would be a good idea to plan ahead. It would be a good idea, but in India, planning ahead isn't always easy. We want to go to one of the hotels to have Christmas lunch. One because we think it would be lovely. Two because I have no idea where to get a turkey. And three, because even if I knew where to get a turkey, there's no way I'm cooking it in my kitchen. I have an oven and a roasting tin. And I have a three ring hob. The hob's so small (compact and bijou, peut-etre?), I can only use two of the burners at once. Depending upon the size of the pans, it's generally the medium fast burner, which at it's lowest has flames dancing up the sides of the pan, and the fast burner, which surprisingly (not!), is even faster. In the middle of these two is my slow burner. When I put a pan on that one I can't get pans to balance on the other two. So I stick to simple recipes. This suits me just fine, because it means my kitchen's not rostered on for Christmas lunch.

So on the weekend we tried to book somewhere. More than one of the hotels told us we were too early and they hadn't decided what they were doing yet. I'm thinking, come on...it's 11 days to Christmas, what do you mean you haven't decided yet! So I asked my new quilting group. Except for our leader, Anju, they're all expats. Lots of Australians, some Americans, a Canadian, a Venezuelan, a Sri Lankan and a handful of Belgians, Swiss and Germans. The Delhi long-timers said the hotels do Christmas lunch every year, so we needn't worry. Anju thought we shouldn't try to firm anything up before Dec 23rd. I told her if we'd left booking Christmas lunch until December 14 in Britain they'd say "Christmas 2009? No madam, we booked the last table, the one next to the kitchen door, in October". In Australia they'd just laugh at us. Loudly. For quite a long time.

3 comments:

RhoadesTE said...

Hey there - love the blog!
Everyone's Christmas has a challenge, yours is a little more exotic than some ... that's all. We just have a house full of construction workers around for Christmas. We don't even have a tree yet! Kids are whinging about it a bit - maybe by Christmas eve they'll get some decorations - although nothing as spiffy as the three camels!

lauren bergold said...

i'm going to have to say that i for one am vicariously THRILLED by the indian level of xmas preparedness...but soley b/c it makes *ME* look kinda cool and on top of things... :) (sorry!)

(does it help at all to say that if OUR 12/25 plans fall through there is ZERO chance of us lucking into freshly made dosas somewhere??!?! ok, probably not...) (sorry again!)

Lana said...

I have to say I'm really confident we'll find hotel with a lovely meal. I'm not overly confident that meal will contain roast turkey and chipolatas. Because if turkey's a stretch, chipolatas are a loooong way off!