Monday, April 6, 2009

Australia Post

I visited Australia today. And before anyone gets gets their knickers twisted because I didn't pop in to see them, it was that little part of New Delhi which represents "the lucky country", the Australian High Commission. I belong to a quilting group here and apart from our leader, Anju, we're all expats. The majority of the group is Australian, with a few of us having had extended stays elsewhere. We have a couple of North Americans, a Venezuelan, a Belgian, a few Brits and a New Zealander. Today's meeting was at Paddy's house, and Paddy (proudly from Canberra), lives in the High Commission. Inside her apartment it sounded like we were in Australia, with only Anju's Indian accent and Kehi's New Zealand one amongst all these Aussies. But outside her apartment...we were still in India, Toto, because I didn't hear another single Australian voice. Shame.

But soon I will get my fix of Aussie voices. We booked our flights to Perth this afternoon for our six week summer holiday. New Delhi gets bloody hot in June - I've been told 50 degrees celsius (120 F) is not unheard of. It might be an urban legend, but I'm sure I don't want to be here to check! Why would I - when I can go to Perth for their winter when it will be 20 (70F)!

1 comment:

vickie in nh said...

Happy Birthday Miss Lana !