Tuesday, September 2, 2008

one month down...

Well, we've all survived the first month, with no major illnesses or significant tummy upsets and only two replacement number plates - one lost in a flooded pothole, another came off worse for wear in what Rod described as a minor misunderstanding between Raju and another driver over who had right of way. I believe the other driver won. Replacement number plates are made while you wait on the side of the road, and they cost 100 rupees. The number plate guys are always busy, so I think number plates are made to be slightly disposable...

What I've learnt so far:
1. If you go down to the maintenance office and ask for a plumber because your drains are blocked again and they say they’ll send one up in 15 minutes, don’t expect you’ll see him in 15 minutes. Be surprised when he turns up at midday, two hours later, because he actually turned up on the same day you requested him. And if he fixes the problem on his first visit, be very surprised. I’d say, celebrate and have a drink, but not wine, because that’s expensive. And also, it’s now only early afternoon…

2. Don't expect anything to get fixed the first time. The plumber fixed the drains on his first visit today, but he also fixed the same problem last month. I'll be waiting with bated breath (and probably ankle deep water in the shower) at the beginning of October...

3. A bottle of wine in the cheaper end of the shop costs the same as 15 Bacardi Breezers. If only I wanted to drink Bacardi Breezers as much as I'd like a glass of wine!

4. I believe there is such a thing as an Indian Post Office, but I still haven’t seen one. After much searching on our road map I found the correct symbol, but it might be a typo, because it’s next to a lake, alongside an unmade road. There’s a housing development and a high school within walking distance, but no shops. Maybe I had an unrealistic expectation of where to find one…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my God - this is so funny! Lana, I hope you appreciate the amount of energy it took me to not laugh out loud at work reading your blog. I think I love India...well, the fact that you're there and not me anyway!
Give Thalia and Kier a big hug from me, and Rod too.
Love and hugs, Craig