Monday, September 29, 2008

What's in a Name?

Rod's got a personal assistant at work now. He calls her Sweety. I would take umbrage at this, but her parents call her Sweety too, for that is the name on her birth certificate.

Rod, being a skydiver, is no stranger to friends with unusual names. There's Stumpy and Nutty, for example. Stumpy is his formal name, when you want to address him informally you call him Stumps. I don't think you'd call Nutty Nuts though. Despite the fact that these names fit them to a "T", I imagine their parents used the names Ian and Liz (or Elizabeth) when referring to them.

Then there's Rotti and Rhino. I have no idea what their parents called them.

Back to Sweety and her parents. I hope she was an exceptionally well behaved young girl. Imagine trying to tell her off as a child - "Sweety, go to your room!" It doesn't exactly have the gravitas you're aiming for...

No comments: