Thursday, August 28, 2008

the monkeys are back...

and there's gonna be some trouble!
It's midmorning, and the maid is washing down the balcony. She has an animated conversation with Teresa on the next balcony across, and then opens the sliding door and calls to me
"monkey-ya". She's right, there are two small monkeys hanging off the side of the building, and a gaggle of security guards standing on Teresa's balcony looking at them. She tells me, in broken english/hindi/mime, that big monkey (that would be the one in the photo), taken through Teresa house, with collar on, down lift. At least I think that's what she said.

A short while later there's a loud bang. And then another. I go out onto the balcony to investigate, and see an even larger gaggle of men, security guards and drivers. And some of the security guards have guns, rifles, and they're pointing them at Teresa's balcony. So I decide while that crossing MG Road in Gurgaon would still be riskier, standing on my balcony is probably not too clever, and go back inside. The bangs continue. It's a one sided affair, because the monkeys didn't appear to have much firepower behind them. I was a little troubled by these men shooting at the monkeys. I then decided they were using tranquilizer bullets, because that made me feel better. I then remembered I last saw the monkeys hanging off the side of the building 15 stories up...

The shooting continued on and off for a couple of hours. I'm hoping they were only trying to scare the monkeys away and not actually harm them. One because that appeals to my western sensibilities, and two, because if they weren't, they're really lousy shots!

No comments: