Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lost in Translation

I've decided I'm going to have to put more effort into learning Hindi. Every day, our driver, Raju, teaches me a couple of words, generally the things we see as we drive along. Car, motorbike, bus and tractor are the same in both languages. I’ve learnt tree, road, house, temple and overpass, but that doesn’t really help inside my home!

This morning the maid had to translate what the gas repairman was trying to tell me, and she hardly speaks English at all! He wanted two hundred rupees, she could tell me that using words. She could also tell me by the look she gave me that he was overcharging because he didn't actually fix the problem. I could tell that because before he tried to fix it, the gas flame was much higher on the right hand side of the ring. After he fixed it, the gas flame was much higher on the left hand side!

No comments: