Saturday, December 12, 2009

A mighty big quilt

Just to prove I am still quilting I thought I'd show you the latest quilt I've finished. It belongs to Anju from my quilt group, and is the largest quilt I've done on my new 10ft table. The top was 93" by 101". Rod had to unscrew the rubber endstop so I could park the machine clear of the backing. Even with it gone I only just cleared the needleplate. It's one of Anju's smaller quilts, and she only made it that small because I told her I couldn't quilt it if she made it any bigger. You can get away with saying things like this when you're the only longarm quilter in the country!

5 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

Lana it's me Sandy, backstage moderator. I love your statement "ONLY LONGARMER IN THE COUNTRY" .... now that is a big statement for India.

Love ya

Ferret said...

You could do at least 10" wider, you just can't get the machine clear of the quilt. Several of mine go completely edge to edge. I won't tell you it's fun or easy, but it can be done :)

Lana said...

Hi Ferret, I knew I could go a bit bigger, but I also knew that if I didn't give an absolute maximum size the quilts could end up longer than my leaders. So I gave an absolute maximum size of 90" and got a quilt 93"! Some things stay constant the whole world over! And Sandy, I know there's a longarmer somewhere in the United Arab Emirates, and there's sure to be one in Singapore, but you need international plane travel to get to them!

Ferret said...

I forgot the customer factor :) So your 90" could be 120" :)

Lana said...

And I forgot to mention my IQ motor is attached to the side of my machine so I lose 7 inches from the LHS that you don't.