Monday, November 9, 2009

Got a light?

Having dinner by candlelight is old hat. To be truly cutting edge, you have to cook it by candlelight! Okay, so it's not really a candle, rather our emergency light. But the effect is about the same...

We had a power outage just after 5pm. These outages are less frequent than they were in the peak of summer, and usually don't last more than five or so minutes. The longest ones are about an hour. But 6pm came and went, and the power still hadn't returned. I knew dinner, chicken and vegetable pie with a filo pastry topping, would need to cook for at least 45 minutes, so I couldn't risk leaving it much later. I'd found one packet of filo pastry in the supermarket, something I'd not seen since Tesco, July 2008, so nothing was going to get in the way of me using it. Not even not being able to see. So I took the emergency light into the kitchen so I could distinguish between my fingers and the vegetables. Luckily the hob and oven are gas, otherwise the lack of light wouldn't be my only problem! Power came back just as dinner was ready.

1 comment:

Ferret said...

Just think of all the new skills you are gaining :) Was the pie good?