Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Vegetarian shop discovered in Hauz Khas

I know where the vegetarian shop is! The paneer selling vegetarian shop. What Bapi meant was one of the vegetable stalls down the high street. Now why didn't I think of this? Possibly because the vegetable stall consists of a plank of wood on a couple of trestle legs, and no refrigeration? Bapi took me down the street and I admit I wasn't expecting to stop at a veggie stall. But under the table, in an esky (coolbox) was paneer and a big block of ice. Considering how often the electricity goes off, and how shopkeepers don't like paying for electricity to keep refrigeration units cold (it must be true - I read it in the papers!), a big block of ice is probably just as reliable, maybe more so!

3 comments:

Kate North said...

maybe you should take this line of logic (if you can call it that) when looking for other things. if you need string, try an electrical shop. for wine, perhaps a shop selling pyjamas...

Unknown said...

I learned something today! I had to look up what paneer was. I will have to try the queso blanco or queso fresca that are easily found here to get a feel for what you are eating--then you will have to tell me what you do with it! Now, what is Hauz Khas?

Lana said...

Hauz Khas is the name of the suburb we live in. It means Royal Tank, because nearby there's a big lake that was excavated by Sultan Alauddin Khilji in 1300 to provide water for his new city of Siri.

Paneer is a bit like cottage cheese, except it is in a block, not crumbly. Not a strong taste, but good in a creamy tomato sauce or cubed and fried in oil.