Thursday, May 14, 2009

We ate red meat!

Well, pork. But it was real pork fillet, and my lord it was yummy! One really good side effect of moving to Hauz Khas is that we're only a 10 minute drive from Jor Bagh market. Even in this heat I reckon it's safe to eat meat that's only been out of refrigeration for 10 minutes or so. The pork fillet was surprisingly inexpensive (less than two quid for 400 grams), considering the general pricing at Jor Bagh's exclusive Steakhouse. The Steakhouse, of course, doesn't sell what you or I would call steaks. They'd be beef, and this is a Hindu establishment. That's why it sells pork. I am told it is possible to get beef in Delhi, but you have to go early in the morning to the Muslim area of Old Delhi and have a good grasp of Hindi. This is hard for me not because I'm not prepared to get up early. It's hard because only Raju has a good grasp of Hindi , and I'm not sure what would offend him more, being made to buy beef, or being made to go to Old Delhi!

And for those who were wondering, I cooked the pork fillet in a sauce of apples, mustard and kwark (local cream cheese). Yes, Julie, I made a substitution (when do I ever not?) ...but I wouldn't have used double cream even if I was at home!

No comments: