Sunday, May 17, 2009

How Embarrassing!

This afternoon, I set up my DSM (domestic sewing machine) to do some piecing. But before I could get onto that, I had a little mending job to do. Thalia is getting taller and has outgrown some trackie bottoms. I offered to turn them into shorts for her. Turning up the second hem, I threw out my hook timing! I didn't hit a pin, it wasn't a chunky seam intersection, it was just two layers of cotton knit! But thrown out it certainly is. It was metal on metal, and the part of the hook race that is supposed to be stationary is moving really far too freely for my liking. This is why quilters don't like mending!!!

What is so embarrassing about the whole affair is that I don't know how to fix it. If it was my 24 inch, industrial sewing head on my 10 foot frame I would have had it up and working again within 10 minutes. This is a much smaller machine, which only sits on my dining table, and while I know how to identify the problem, and how the mechanic (when I find one) will fix it, what he will actually do to make it work again is just beyond me!

1 comment:

Ferret said...

I know what you mean. I had a students machine that was out a couple of weeks ago, and I know it is a quick fix. I just have no idea how to do it. Actually I saw it done on one of my machines and would be happy to try timing that one, but not most DSM's. Hope you find an engineer soon.

You could piece on your big machine :) Really. Hold it in one place, slow it down a bit and then place a pile of post it notes to act as a guide. I can see how it would work, but it would be a bit odd.