Sunday, January 4, 2009

Please Ma'am, can I have some more?

The Milk Guy's at it again. Last month, boringly, he presented us with a bill for 600 rupees. A reformed character, we thought. But no... This evening he appears at the door, with a bill for 31 litres of milk, at 20 rupees a litre for a subtotal of 620 rupees. So far, so good, you might think, but then you notice he's asked for an advance of 2000 rupees. Now it might surprise you to know I wanted to know what the advance was for. We've never paid an advance before. But Milk Guy can't answer me in any language I understand, so it's time to call on Farah. I show Farah the invoice, and ask if she will find out what the advance is for. A conversation ensues, and she turns to me to say "His wife is in hospital and he needs money. He wants to try to pay it back over the next few months". Now I have no idea if the Milk Guy's wife is in hospital or not, but I'm feeling particularly hard hearted tonight, so I pay for the milk only. Tomorrow I'll have to ask Farah if she was asked to pay an extra 2000 rupees...

No comments: