Monday, November 3, 2008

Superlatives abound

While Raju was driving me back and forth to the Container Freight Depot last month I discovered there is a new satellite town springing up on the outskirts of New Delhi. It's called Ghaziabad. Allegedly it's an oasis of tranquility on National Highway 24, just 25 kilometres from Connaught Place, the heart of the capital city. Well, that's what the advertising hoardings would have you believe. I could only hope the view from the NH24 got better a bit further out...

"Unveiling new doors of bliss", the first hoarding told me. The second said, "Saviour offers you a lifestyle you'll savour". Then things started getting really silly. "A confluence of class and affordbility, the epitome of lifestyle". "Ghaziabad goes global - Florida, London, Dubai and now Ghaziabad". But for what? Personally I'm struggling to work out what Florida, London and Dubai have in common, let alone what Ghaziabad adds to the mix. My personal favourite - "Imagine a golf course and a lake for neighbours". I imagine that would be quite nice, except when you want to borrow that cup of sugar...

No comments: