Monday, November 17, 2008

Christmas is coming...

Call me stupid, but I've only just realised that Christmas is six weeks away. Maybe that's because the shops are still decorated like they were for Diwali, or thankfully, the musak in the shopping centres isn't non-stop Christmas Carols. There was one day in Spencers supermarket, back in early October, after the Navrati festival, nine days (and nights!) of loud Hindi music and dance and before the Diwali celebrations hotted up, that I was subjected to a horrific shopping experience. What might you think is worse than being subjected to Shakin' Stevens "Merry Christmas, Everyone" in December? Well, it wasn't December, and it wasn't even being sung by someone as talented as Shakin' Stevens. And there wasn't snow falling, all around us. It was still 35 degrees celcius. Haven't heard it since, hopefully it was just a one day thing... So as I don't have the perpetual drip of western advertising telling me it's the season to be jolly every time I step near a spending opportunity, I hadn't really realised Christmas was that close. And for once, I knew what I would like for Christmas, and as it would have to be hand made, I knew I'd better pull my finger out...

When I first told my friend Lynn that I would be living in India, she told me of all the lovely fabrics I could buy at Shanker Market, and of the tailors there that could turn these fabrics into beautiful garments at really reasonable prices. I began to dream of a silk dressing gown. Not a pretend silk polyester one, a real silk dressing gown. I mentioned this to Rod, and he told me I should get two made. I have no idea why I did not rush straight out and arrange the dressing gowns at that point, but I did not. Well last week, realising time was short, I did. Mum and I went to the tailor Lynn recommended (near Mr Chawla's Fancy Store, with the stripy shirt fabrics), but no good, he only did shirts and trousers. The next shop was called "Lady Vogue" and their business card proclaimed they did "Exclusive Punjabi Suits and Ladies Tailoring", so we thought this would be a good place to try. We went in and asked if they could make dressing gowns. Indians like to tell you what they think you'd like to hear, so they said yes. However, after a short discussion, it became apparent that the man, no doubt extremely experienced in the making of Punjabi Suits, western jackets, skirts and trousers, had never made a dressing gown. He might not even know what a dressing gown was. Apparently it would have been so much better if we had taken an example dressing gown with us.

What fastenings did I want down the front? None, just a tie belt.

What lining fabric did I want? None.

The main fabric is sheer, almost see-through? That's okay.

It was only when we told him the garments were to be ankle length that he began to look at us in a less dubious manner. He will make three dressing gowns, one in a pink and green shantung silk for Mum, and two for me. One will be peacock blue and copper shantung, and the other in a 1960's psychadelic print that wouldn't be out of place in an Austin Powers movie. His charge (for the three) is £20. The fabric, bought at a different shop in the market, also cost £20 for all three.

When we left Mum got all giggly, and told me, until we asked for the garments to be so long, the tailor probably thought we were a young hooker and an old hooker. I pointed out, as I'm now 41, the tailor probably didn't think I was a young hooker at all. Maybe an old hooker and a really old hooker...

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow! What luxury - silk dressing gowns and at such a ridiculously low price. I'm sure they will be lovely to wear. You'll feel like a Queen or a Ranee.

Do they celebrate Christmas in India? Perhaps you will not have to listen to any Christmas songs in stores and other public places. Here the Christmas decorations went up in mid October, competing with the Halloween stuff. Thankfully, I have only heard Christmas songs once and that was at a Christmas bazaar, so they can be excused.

Kate North said...

At that price, you should have had half a dozen :)

Thanks for the birthday goodies - can't wait to have time to play with them - nearly done with the decorating - perhaps by next week Michael will no longer be in my house all day every day and I will be able to sew - oh wait, I forgot, we are enterring the season of children doing christmas stuff at school every 42 seconds - maybe not on the sewing front then!!