Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's not the NHS...

There's good news and bad news. The good news - today I found a lovely, clean, modern doctors surgery that's close to me and where they speak good english. The bad news was that I needed to find a doctor at all...

My eczema has been playing up a bit and one of my hands has some cracked skin. It was looking a bit dodgy, so last night I opened the strongest cortisone cream I brought with me, the one with the antibiotic in it and applied it liberally. This morning I woke up and discovered I could apply for work in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'd been putting off finding a doctor who dealt with adults (there's a paediatrician in one of the other blocks of the complex who works out of home so the kids were sorted), but decided as Buffy is no longer in production, today I'd better find a doctor who dealt with grown ups. Called my friend Nitti who recommended a polyclinic down at Galleria Market. Nitti is well worth knowing, because this doctors surgery is better than the one I'd been using back in Britain. I called at 11, they offered me an appointment at midday with a choice of doctors. The one I chose (actually, the receptionist chose for me, I just said "my hand is infected, I want a doctor who will give me drugs today") called me into her consultation room at 12 on the dot - yes, she was Indian, and I was surprised. The combination of doctor and Indian didn't bode well for timekeeping. I was out with a prescription four minutes later. And the cost, 300 rupees or just over £4 for the apointment, and 460 rupees, just under £6 for three medicines! She wants to see me again on Friday, and I was allowed to pick the time!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Sorry to hear your hand was messed up. Hope it will be all better soon. You were lucky in finding a good doctor. That's always a hard thing when moving to a new area.

I'm really enjoying your blog. It's fascinating to read about living in India. Glad it's you and not me. I'm too old for radical changes.

Kate North said...

Must be nice to find something which works better in India, for a change. I'd love that at the moment, as Olivia has had a persistent cough (we think just a virus, as usual) for ages, but as I have been working in the morning it hasn't seemed worth the effort required to get her a doctor's appointment (you understand, this is just an annoying nagging cough, not a bits of lung coming out type) - if only you could ring the surgery and they could offer you an afternoon appointment instead of a morning one... Oh well. Maybe this week if it keeps up!

BTW, Rod will come back heavily laden with emulsifying ointment - we bought the two the MP chemist would let us have and he's going to scout all the Boots near where he's staying for more :)