Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Things you don't expect to see on the motorway

I've been in India over a year now, and I'm much more used to seeing things I wouldn't have expected to see than I was when I first arrived, a novice traveller who'd only lived on two continents. I've seen people living in buildings that didn't look like they would withstand a light puff of wind. I've seen people surprised that it rains in the monsoon season, and all the roads wash away. I've seen trees growing in the middle of roads. But I've never seen this:


Yesterday was Eid-ul-Fitr, the day that marks the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Thousands of Muslims gathered at mosques across India to offer prayers. And thousands gathered on the NH8, the Delhi Gurgaon Expressway, and offered their prayers there too. Traffic is often at a standstill on this road, but not usually caused by human gridlock.

No comments: