Sunday, March 29, 2009

My name is Lana and I am a Petrol Head

Today was the day Rod and I had been waiting for since November 3rd last year - the start of the Formula One season. 147 days (yes, I counted) without our fix of roaring engines, squealing tyres and reckless overtaking manoeuvres. Of course, we have seen plenty of the above during that time...whilst driving on Indian roads, unfortunately. The Albert Park circuit in Melbourne is better suited to speed than, for example, the NH-8 (the freeway between Delhi and Gurgaon). I hope that one day people will come to see that...

Anyway, back to the real speed demons. We may have had to wait 147 days, but oh boy, the wait was worth it. A one-two for Brawn GP, a team born 23 days ago from one of last year's underperformers. A long awaited second win for Jenson Button, out of 154 race starts. A well deserved second place for the oldest driver on the grid, the truly ancient 36 year old Rubens Barrichello. And a third place for Lewis Hamilton, after starting from the very back of the grid. And neither Ferrari finished the race, but for decency's sake, I'll try not to gloat too much.

Here's hoping the rest of the season is as good as this...

5 comments:

Kate North said...

I'm gonna shock you by leaving a comment which actually shows some knowledge of F1 - I heard they were going to change the scoring system to go more (solely?) on wins - how's this going to affect our boy's chances? :)

Lana said...

I am impressed! However, the teams hated the idea, so it's been shelved for the moment. If the McLaren is as bad as Lewis has made out pre-season then it could have made things mighty tricky. You're going to give me your take on football next? Will I have to sit down?

Ferret said...

Football!? something to do with people kicking thing?

Cars, now there is something much more sensible. I was surprised not only by the race but by the coverage in general. I have got really bored with the pre race fluff the last couple of years, but this time it was pretty good. It was a proper race too. I am looking forward to the rest of the season. Oh and as it is on the BBC I can watch it on iplayer after the drag racing when the two clash. Yay!

Ferret said...

Thought you might like to see one of the more 'interesting' runs in recent drag racing. This is a top fuel race in America with one of our European stars, Urs is a lovely chap, and can be proud of this run for all the wrong reasons. Top fuel cars are pushed beyond the limit all the time, so these things happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvZxaZ3UdzE

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I know this is a really old post....and who knows if you will run across it, but NOW I understand much more clearly Rod's driving habits....Yes, much more clearly....