Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I read it in a magazine, it must be true!

In previous posts I have mentioned how Health and Safety hasn't troubled the India subcontinent greatly. Another western institution that's failed to make an impact here is the Advertising Standards Authority. Recently I picked up a copy of Femina, an Indian glossy magazine. Inside the cover there was a double page spread for "Shape Up", a waist and tummy trim gel. This gel must be truly marvellous, beause the ad claims you can "Lose up to 2 inches and get a flatter, firmer tummy in just 3 to 6 weeks". It does this, the ad states, by breaking down body fat, draining out extra retained water and, wait for it, strengthening and toning stomach muscles. Why should I do situps and reverse crunches if this gel will do them for me?

Towards the back of the magazine, where the ads get smaller, the claims get even wilder. If only I was younger, I could send for Herbo Height Therapy (only 2,500 rupees a month) which will help under 35's grow taller. Proudly the ad states its claims have not been proved false...

And it's not only herbs that can make you grow taller. A leaflet in our mailbox touted local yoga classes. It's obviously a different kind of yoga to the one I've been doing for 8 years. This yoga can increase height, memory, concentration and spiritual growth. I don't think there's anything wrong with my memory or concentration. I'm happy with my spiritual growth. Rod could assure you, however, I've not grown taller in those years... Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

2 comments:

vickie in nh said...

Obviously this only works in India (DUH!) so keep doing your yoga in India and I'm 'sure' you'll get taller (LOL)

Ferret said...

Wonderful. See what we miss out on with all these regulations. It doesn't seem to be doing the Indians any harm why can't we have these ads here :0