Monday, July 20, 2009

Lana returns...

Well, we're back from seeing the wonderful wizard of Oz and I'm pleased to report India hasn’t changed while we were away*. It’s still dodgy. The power’s been on the blink today. On and off all day, which is unusual, because we normally only have one outage a day. And we've got one tap in our kitchen with an intermittent water supply. There are three taps in our kitchen. If we can’t get water out of one of them but the others still have water, you’d think it was no big deal. But the only tap that has had interrupted water since we got home is the only tap that is the right shape to feed our washing machine. Unsurprisingly, I’ve wanted to do washing since coming back from holiday. Unsurprising, because I need to wash most days normally. My machine is a front loader, so once there’s some water in it, the door locks so I’m really rather committed to the wash. When I say committed, I don't mean like as in a mental asylum, well, not yet anyway...

Thursday the machine got halfway through the cycle before the water turned off, and the clothes sat for five hours before I got bored waiting for the water to come back on, turned the machine to a spin cycle and hung them out. Friday I got up at 8.30 and checked we had water coming out of that tap before loading the machine. In the time it took to get the clothes in, the water turned off and it took until 6pm before it came back and I started the washing. Just to confuse me, on Saturday the water ran perfectly, so I thought everything had gone back to normal. I should have done LOTS of washing on Saturday, because Sunday morning I checked we had water, filled the machine, started it and it got a whole two minutes into the cycle before the water ran out. At 8pm I gave up and opened the machine door, to air my slightly soggy, not clean clothes. Got up early this morning, checked the water was on and got 30 minutes into the 38 minute cycle before my water window disappeared. Decided these clothes were clean enough, so I turned to a spin cycle and hung them out. Who knows whether we'll have water tomorrow...I know I could find something to wash!

* because if it had changed and gone all predictable on me I'd have nothing to write about!

1 comment:

Ferret said...

Hi, glad to hear India is still there, I've missed the regular updates on the mad world you've found.

Hope you really enjoyed the holiday.